For the past weeks, I was busy baking, experimenting and decorating sugar cookies for my upcoming project in April. I researched different recipes and found this one recipe from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion book to be the most delicious. To guide you through the preparation and baking, I took some shots out of my home kitchen. Hope you'll try them out! Happy Baking!
King Arthur's Special Roll-Out Sugar Cookies:
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
2 tsps. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)
1 large egg
1/4 cup heavy cream or sour cream
3 Tbsps. cornstarch
3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla and almond extract until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add half the cream, all of the cornstarch, and half of the flour; beat well. Add the remaining cream and flour, mixing until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half, flatten into rounds and wrap well. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more, to facilitate rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Transfer the chilled dough to a lightly work surface and place a piece of plastic wrap over it while you roll it out to keep the dough from sticking. Roll the dough into 1/8 to 1/4" thick and cut it into shapes of your choice.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until they're set but not browned. Let cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.