Monday, September 6, 2010

3D ELMO CAKE



Hope everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable weekend. As for me, I was "working" on a birthday cake for a cute little girl turning one. It was a 3D Elmo cake. I was so excited for this project since I'll be using a new medium for sculpting Elmo. In Manila, most bakers usually use a styofoam or pure fondant/gumpaste in making 3D figures. But here in the US, most cake decorators would prefer using rice krispies because of the ease of handling/manipulating this medium. So, after researching for some recipes and pictures of Elmo, I decided to try my hand on sculpting Elmo out of the rice krispies. I must say that the process was very easy and the results were impressive. I let Elmo dry for 3 days before piping his fur with red royal icing. I was happy how Elmo turned out. The heart and one figures were made of gumpaste. And for the bottom tier, it was a 12" cake covered with 2 layers of fondant. The blue fondant was rolled over an imprint mat from Wilton. The cake's flavor was a moist chocolate cake with a devil's food chocolate mousse and crumb coated with vanilla buttercream. Elmo was delivered to Long Island, NY.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails